A severe thunderstorm warning for large hailstones and damaging winds was issued on Monday at 3.40pm for people in the Illawarra, South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains, Australian Capital Territory and parts of the Hunter, Metropolitan, Central West Slopes and Plains, Riverina and Lower Western Forecast Districts.
Severe thunderstorms were expected to produce large hailstones and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Nowra, Batemans Bay, Orange, Katoomba, Canberra, Goulburn, Cooma, Yass, Parkes, Wagga Wagga, Albury, Richmond and Griffith.
The State Emergency Service advised that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:40 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong or surrounding areas or Canberra and Queanbeyan, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in these areas.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.