THE final preparations are underway for an exciting new exhibition in St Clair Museum, highlighting Goulburn’s architectural heritage.
The exhibition, ‘West End’, details the work of prominent local architect E.C. Manfred and his significant influence on the city and its streetscape.
Prepared by the Goulburn Historical Society Inc., the display includes a variety of architectural documents associated with buildings on the western side of the city including cottages, residences and villas; buildings for the AP&H Society showground and the Goulburn Hospital.
“Each document has been cleaned by the volunteers one by one. It’s very exciting to have got it to this stage,” member of the society, Daphne Penalver said.
Detailing the complete architectural practice of E.C.
Manfred and Manfred & Son of Goulburn between 1879-1950, the documents were donated to the Historical Society in 1961 by a member of the Manfred family.
Goulburn’s finest architect, E.C. Manfred (1856-1941) designed many of the city’s most iconic buildings, from the Town Hall and Goulburn Hospital to the original Public Baths, Dimmey’s Store Front and Tower, the Roman Catholic Bishop’s House, grand villas, workers houses, Belmore Park bandstand and much more.
During an exclusive preview of the exhibition, Mrs Penalver told the Post that the volunteers had been working on the project for some time, as well as collating documents, sketches and other items of significance into a computerised catalogue.
This will ensure the preservation of the historical sketches, as well as aid future homebuyers in learning of the significance of Goulburn’s real estate.
The ‘West End’ exhibition launch will take place on February 24 at 2pm at St Clair, and will be officially opened by Mitchell librarian at the Library of NSW, Richard Neville; an expert in 19th century Australian colonial history.
In addition to the St Clair exhibit, the historical society has also been preparing another aspect of Manfred’s work for an exhibition at the Goulburn Regional Art Gallery.
Mainstreet Manfred is an exhibition featuring designs of the local central business district, including the Town Hall, Goulburn Club and many more in and around Auburn Street.
The exhibition will be opened on Saturday March 2, by Maisy and Ian Stapleton, specialists in the restoration of historic buildings.
Prepared as part of the 150th celebrations, the book launch for the Historical Society’s publication ‘E.C.
Manfred – Architect and Surveyor, Goulburn’ will also take place at the GRAG on the day.
Detailing the significant architectural work of E.C.
Manfred, the book will accompany the two upcoming exhibitions at St Clair and the Gallery.
The 40-page publication covers all of Edmund Cooper Manfred’s major works during his first 30 years of professional practice and includes notes on architectural style, coloured illustrations and a full appendix.
At just $25, this small piece of Goulburn’s history can be yours, and will be available for sale at the book launch and during the exhibition.
For more information about the event please phone the Art Gallery on 4823 4494.
A Goulburn walk to view the architecture of E.C. Manfred, prepared by the Goulburn Heritage Group with the assistance of the Goulburn & District Historical Society, is available at the Visitor Information Centre or on igoulburn.com.