ORGANISERS expected the Gordon Highlanders and Waratahs to fare prominently in the opening round of the Goulburn Rugby Sevens competition on Friday.
In the end it was Dirty Mike and the Boys (no, that’s not a typo), a team of old schoolmates, who set the pace at Simon Poidevin Field.
Michael Campton-Smith and Ben Scriber both scored four tries on the night as Dirty Mike’s notched 20-15 and 25-10 victories.
They first up accounted for the Boyd Newby-led Waratahs and capped their night with a three try win over Bubba’s Brumbies.
They take early ascendency in the overall standings with the Taralga Tigers nipping at their heels.
The Tigers opened their campaign with a 20-all draw with Falky’s Force. They closed their opening round with a 35-15 victory over the Highlanders.
The Brumbies and Highlanders each recorded one win for their troubles.
The second round of the month-long competition kicks-off this Friday with the Waratahs tackling the Taralga Tigers, Dirty Mike and the Boys squaring up to Falky’s Force, the Gordon Highlanders playing Bubba’s Brumbies, Falky’s Force backing up against the Waratahs, the Taralga Tigers returning for a match with Bubba’s Brumbies and Dirty Mike and the Boys closing proceedings with a clash against the Gordon Highlanders.
• Gordon Highlanders 15 (Col Davis, Mick Tapper, Brett Waters) bt Waratahs (Abram Kara 2) 10
• Dirty Mikes 20 (Michael Campton-Smith 2, Ben Scriber 2) bt Bubba’s Brumbies 15 (Jordan Wilcox, Ben Todkill, Zach Hart)
• Falky’s Force 20 (Carl Elliott 2, Tom Croker 2) drew with Taralga Tigers 20 (Kurt Wagner 3, Adam Antony 1)
• Dirty Mikes 25 (Michael Campton Smith 2, Ben Schriber 2, Toby Wilson 1) bt Waratahs 10 (Rob Sheekey, Zac Solomons)
• Taralga Tigers 35 (Jacob Belgrove 3, Adam Antony 2, Kurt Wagner 2) bt Gordon Highlanders 15 (Brett Waters 2, Peter Rose 1)
• Bubba’s Brumbies 20 (Zach Hart 2, Jordan Wilcox, Aiden Greaves) bt Falky’s Force 5 (Chris Roberts)