In the Historical Society president’s report, Mike Chalker was pleased to announce that all the buildings in the society's complex (with the exception of the dairy) now have electricity connected, which allows for the utilisation of cleaning aids, lighting, and audio facilities.
Since the last report, visitation has been steady over the weekends, while book sales are still providing a great source of income. The Taralga Store has captured book sales from the passing traffic.
The inclusion of an early school, built to house history and collected artefacts, will enhance the society’s exhibits. Thanks to Mark and Sarah Furness, the pre-1900 Fernbank School is the society’s latest acquisition. The school was built on land which once belonged to the Langs, north of the Wombeyan Caves.
“We approached Veoila Mulwaree Trust for a grant to relocate and reconstruct the derelict school. The application was successful and thanks to the many volunteers for the expertise, machinery and labour we now have a nearly complete school in our complex,” he said.
The opening of the school is scheduled for the Sunday of the long weekend at 1.30pm. The official opening will be performed by a well-known MP.
Ex-students and prominent identities will provide an overview of the district and its history. The popular Ukelele Band will entertain while the Spinners and Weavers will demonstrate their skills. There is a sausage sizzle lunch with coffee and cake for afternoon tea.
Anyone who can assist with cakes and slices, work and their time please call Mike on 4893 5975. There will be a working bee on Sunday, September 24 from 10am. Remember the well-used saying “many hands make light work”.
WILD DOG GROUP
You are invited to the annual meeting of the Wild Dog Group to be held on Wednesday, September 20 at the Taralga Hotel. AGM at 7pm. General meeting at 7.30pm. Contact Peter – 4843 5919 or Danny on 0408 4839 72. All are welcome.
AN IRISH FAMILY
There is much information available in the Historical Society Archives on early families in the district. One such family is that of the Hackett family who still has some descendants in the district although the name Hackett is no longer found in the area. Pierce Hackett (c.1816-1886), the son of John and Mary, married Mary Hanley (c1815-1888) in Tipperary. It is believed that Pierce and all his family came to the district in 1863. There are ten children known: Mary (1839) married James Cusack; Margaret (c1844) married Patrick Cass; Ellen (c1846) married John Maher, this was the first marriage in St Ignatius Church; Eliza (c1848) married John Hayes; Phillip (c1850) married Honara Dwyer; Johanna (c1852) married Thomas Geary; Catherine (c1854) married Patrick Wall; Jane (c1856) married Richard Dwyer; Ann (c1858) married Patrick Maher; Bridget (c1860) married Patrick Hennessy.
VINTAGE FARM MACHINERY
The Southern Tablelands Vintage Farm Machinery Club have already started to distribute their brochures for their November 18-19 function. The main events will be held on Saturday while it will be open until noon on Sunday. This year a special car section will be held on Saturday with a Lucky Attendance Draw between 9.30am and 1.30pm. Another new feature will be a People’s Choice Trophy sponsored by Grants Motor Repairs, G and J. Corby, Fifes Stock Feeds, Kev’s Quality Meats and Travers Paintwerx. For further information contact Sam, Rally Co-ordinator on 0432 730 991. Enquiries can be directed to Jacqui 4840 2139