A cave-in at a subway line construction site in southern China has killed eight people and left three others missing, authorities say.
The municipal government in Foshan said the collapse occurred at 8.40pm on Wednesday and that nine workers were rescued and were in stable condition.
Foshan is in the industrial heartland of Guangdong province, close to the financial hub of Hong Kong.
The site of the collapse was in a central area of the city beneath an eight-lane road. An area the size of two basketball courts sunk to a depth of 6 metres, according to state broadcaster CCTV.
Water had been entering the site from leaks in pipes, which workers attempted to plug but ultimately caused a burst that led to the collapse, CCTV said.
The line under construction runs for 23km through the city north of the provincial capital of Guangzhou.
The rapid expansion of subway networks in Chinese cities has frequently led to cave-ins and other deadly accidents.