Man critically injured in Hume Highway crash


A YOUNG man injured in Monday’s Hume Highway accident has passed away.

Police confirmed this morning that the 27-year-old Goulburn man died late yesterday in Canberra Hospital.

They have not released his name at this stage.

Officers are still investigating the accident’s cause.

A report will be prepared for the ACT Coroner, given that he died in Canberra, and a brief also sent to the NSW Coroner.

Highway heartache

A 27-year-old Goulburn man remained on life support on Tuesday afternoon following a two-vehicle crash on the Hume Highway on Monday.

The Divall's employee was flown to Canberra Hospital in a critical condition with severe head trauma and fractures, police said.

His family was by his side yesterday and friends had rallied in support.

Police are yet to establish the cause of the accident, which occurred about 2.30pm, some 300m south of the southern off-ramp to Goulburn.

Police believed the man was driving his work utility on the inside northbound lane when he ran into the rear of an Essential Energy vehicle.

Both were headed to the Goulburn exit.

The ute's front end took the major impact.

Police Rescue had to cut the driver's side door to free the man. Ambulance crews, general duties police, NSW Fire and Rescue, and the Roads and Maritime Service were also on the scene.

Several Divall's employees also attended, liasing closely with police on the man's condition.

Ambulance officers worked to stabilise him for nearly 90 minutes.

A NSW Ambulance helicopter arrived at the accident site shortly after 3pm. The man was transferred to the chopper at 4pm.

Police said on Tuesday afternoon he remained in a critical condition.

He was the single occupant of the ute.

Skid marks on the road showed where the Essential Energy vehicle veered off into the verge, following the crash.

The 30-year-old male driver, from Goulburn, was not injured, but he was taken to the Base Hospital for mandatory blood and urine testing.

Both northbound lanes were closed and traffic banked up for many kilometres as emergency services worked at the scene on Monday afternoon.

Many drivers turned off into Parkesbourne Rd and took back roads to Goulburn, while others drove through paddocks to Run-O-Waters and on to Hume St.

One highway lane was re-opened at 5pm, with cars moving slowly through. Both lanes were opened by 6pm.


Discuss "Man critically injured in Hume Highway crash"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.