The after-school rush is a tricky time – needing to get home or perhaps head off to after school activities – as, all the while, the kids are likely declaring they are “starving!”
To help provide some healthy – and realistic – inspiration, here are 10 of my favourite after school snacks!
NOTE: Some of these snacks may be more practical if eaten at home, whereas others are more suited to a backseat snack on the way to various after school activities. Younger kids may be fine with a single small snack, whereas older kids may benefit from a double snack combo.
- Air-popped corn: Homemade or pre-popped, such as Macro, Sunbites or Cobs
- Fruit: Try out apple wedges with a smear of peanut butter, sliced cheese and pear or a cup of frozen grapes in the warmer months
- Wholegrain crackers with sliced cheese
- Wholegrain toast with a small tin of low-salt baked beans
- Homemade low sugar, high fibre muffin (savoury or fruity)
- Tub of natural yoghurt (drinking yoghurts may be easier if travelling)
- Small wholemeal wrap with ham and cheese
- Fruit smoothie, for example, milk blended with strawberries
- Snack bar such as Freedom Foods Crunch & Crunchola Bars or Be Natural Trail Bar
- Packet snacks like The Happy Snack Company Roasted FAV-VA Beans or Roasted Chic Peas, Uncle Toby’s Fruity Bites and Freedom Foods Messy Monkeys