On Sunday, January 14, motoring and motor sports enthusiasts gathered at the memorial commemorating Australia’s first All Powers Racing Car Grand Prix.
It was no the 90th anniversary of this race meeting, January 15, 2017, that the Celebrate Goulburn Group Inc coordinated an impressive morning celebration to unveil the memorial to this historic event at the back of the toilet block which backs onto the carpark on Braidwood Road near the Veolia Arena.
For the 91st anniversary, the Celebrate Goulburn Group Inc organised a gathering of veteran, vintage and classic cars and motorcycles at the AGP memorial on Braidwood Road.
From here the vehicles travelled along an organised route to the property at Windellama owned, at that time, by the winner of the First Australian Grand Prix held in 1927, Geoffrey Charles Edwin Meredith.
The event was to celebrate the 91st Anniversary of the First Australian Grand Prix for All Powers Racing Cars and was sponsored by a donation from Veolia Mulwaree Trust.
The event was well attended by 59 vehicles with representatives from the local Veteran and Vintage and Historic and Classic Car Clubs, Classic Riders Club as well as Golden Era Auto Racing Club, Yass Antique Motor Club, both the Riley and Triumph Car Clubs of Canberra, The Bugatti Club, Gunning Historic Motor Club and a couple of private enthusiasts.
Many locals came down to the memorial to view these vehicles as their owner met for a cuppa and to get their instructions on how to get to the former Meredith property at Windellama.
Leaflets about the history of the First Grand Prix had been put in letterboxes along the route and many of the locals were at their gates to enjoy the vehicles of yesteryear as they passed by.
The day continued with the participants arriving at the Windellama property, enjoying the variety of vehicles and a picnic lunch.
After lunch the owners opened their home for inspection. Groups were welcomed and the restoration back to the original era, as much as research has allowed, was explained.
The old slab dwelling from 1850, prior to the home being completed in the late 1800s was of special interest. The shed where it is believed Geoffrey Meredith stored his Bugatti is still standing even though it leans a little from many years of wind.
A special feature of the day was “A Bugatti returns to Buburba.” Ian and Anitra Kenny parked their 1926 Bugatti in front of the old home. The group thanks the present owners for the privilege of visiting their property and for their hospitality.