Three Goulburn Workers Bulldogs players have been selected in Canberra Region Under 23 side taking part in the Rugby League Country Championships.
Ash Barnes has named Nick Cornish, Tyson Greenwood and 2018 Goulburn Bulldogs recruit Connor Brebner his initial squad.
Greenwood played in the competition last season and is looking forward to playing alongside Cornish and Brebner, who has been welcomed by the Goulburn Workers Bulldogs as they began their training in preparation for the coming season.
Canberra Region U23s will take on the Victorian under 20s as a curtain raiser for the World Club Challenge on Friday February 16.
“It’s a great opportunity playing at a fantastic stadium such as AAMI Park ahead of the World Club Challenge,” Barnes said. “I know a lot of these players won’t have had the exposure and facilities like this before. I think it’s going to be a great experience for them.”
With eleven players from last year’s successful Monaro side unable to be picked in 2018, Barnes hopes to use the game against Victoria to provide the best possible preparation for the Country Championships.
The game at AAMI Park starts at 5:40pm, February 16, before the Leeds Rhinos and Melbourne Storm game.
Barnes will be trying at some new combinations and taking a look at other players before the squad’s trial match against Group 16.
The Group 16 on Saturday, March 17, is where the selection of the Monaro squad for the 2018 Country Championships will be made.
The 2018 Preliminary Canberra Region Representative Squad
- Tevita Aroha-Tuinauvai (West Belconnen Warriors)
- Connor Brebner (Goulburn Workers Bulldogs)
- Nick Cornish (Goulburn Workers Bulldogs)
- Kyle Danilszak (Yass Magpies)
- Michael Geiger (Woden Valley Rams)
- Tyson Greenwood (Goulburn Workers Bulldogs)
- Derek Hay (Queanbeyan Kangaroos)
- Ron Leapai (Woden Valley Rams)
- Adam Lucas (Woden Valley Rams)
- Kye Madden (Gungahlin Bulls)
- James Mafi (Queanbeyan Blues)
- Cleve McGhie (Woden Valley Rams)
- Jacob McGrath (Yass Magpies)
- Ryan McQueen (West Belconnen Warriors)
- Nela Moa (West Belconnen Warriors)
- Nukurua Ngere (Queanbeyan Kangaroos)
- Kaine Pagura (Queanbeyan Kangaroos)
- Zac Patch (Queanbeyan Blues)
- William Sila (Queanbeyan Blues)
- Luke Skidmore (Gungahlin Bulls)
- George Stewart (Queanbeyan Blues)
- Ryley Thomas (West Belconnen Warriors)
- Keb Vaetoe (Woden Valley Rams)
- Timoci Vatabuli (Woden Valley Rams)
- Harry Whatman (West Belconnen Warriors)
This squad is subject to change ahead of the match against Group 16.