More complainants had come forward alleging historical sexual and indecent assault by a former Goulburn man.
The 55-year-old man, now of Queanbeyan, was initially charged late last year with two counts of aggravated indecent assault – victim under authority, which allegedly took place in 1992.
He was granted conditional bail in November but in March, 2018, detectives laid a further eight counts of sexual assault –assault and indecent act and one count of sexual intercourse – person 10 and under 16 –under authority. Police said they related to a further two children.
It followed the formation of Strike Force Ralson. Its purpose was to investigate alleged sexual assault of children in Goulburn between the mid-1980s and the early 1990s.
The man has remained in custody since April.
Now more complainants have come forward.
Solicitor Sam Rowland told Magistrate Geraldine Beattie that there were now seven sets of matters. Charge sheets show this involves six alleged victims. He requested an adjournment, indicating the case would go to trial.
“A substantial amount of material on the fresh matters has been provided to my office,” Mr Rowland said.
The DPP solicitor also said there was outstanding material on the old matters and a September adjournment was preferred.
But Ms Beattie pointed out the case had been before the court since last year.
Mr Rowland told the court the charges were historical in nature and there was a great deal of material to work through.
“The further complication is that some of the matters are from Queanbeyan,” Ms Beattie replied.
She adjourned the matter until September 12 for a committal hearing. The accused will appear via audio-visual link. He has not entered a plea to any of the charges.
He is charged with a total 29 historical sex offences, 18 of which were alleged to have occurred in Goulburn from 1986 to 1994 against five boys all aged under 16, while he was a church youth group leader. They included sexual assault and commit act of indecency, aggravated indecent assault and sexual intercourse with a person aged 10 to 16 under his authority.
In Queanbeyan, two complainants alleged aggravated indecent assault, acts of indecency and aggravated sexual assault between 2003 and 2006.