Next week, the council will be hosting a delegation of 10 representatives from our Sister City in Shibetsu, Japan.
The delegation will be in Goulburn for four days, arriving on Monday, November 11. The group is visiting to mark 20 years since the formal Sister City agreement was signed by then Goulburn City Council Mayor, Margaret O'Neill.
To mark this historic occasion, the following mayoral receptions will take place:
- A welcome reception including a smoking ceremony, guard of honour by the NSW Police Academy Cadets and a display by the Goulburn Bonsai Society.
- Shibetsu Garden dedication ceremony held in Victoria Park at 5pm on Monday, November 11.
- Shibetsu Sister City 20th anniversary celebration dinner on Tuesday, November 12.
- A guided city tour which will encompass many iconic Goulburn landmarks, as well as some of the city's new developments.
- A trip to our neighbouring city of Canberra to visit the National Arboretum and to meet with Federal Member for Hume, the Hon. Angus Taylor MP.
To welcome our guests and mark this momentous visit, a number of banners will be on display throughout Auburn Street.
I encourage you to come and say hello to myself and our visitors if you see us in the city during this time.
NSW Country Cricket Championships
The Cricket NSW McDonald's Country Championships will continue this weekend (November 8-10) with Southern Pool matches to be played in Goulburn.
The council in conjunction with the Goulburn District Cricket Association will welcome defending champions, ACT Southern Districts, along with Riverina, Greater Illawarra and Western Zone in what I'm sure will be a highly contested weekend of cricket.
The championships commenced last weekend with Northern Pool matches being played on the Central Coast. The tournament provides players with the opportunity to be selected in the NSW Country side for the Australian Country Championships.
This is a significant event for Goulburn and we are proud to host cricket to this level. It's great that we also get to showcase our brand new facility, the Ken Robson Pavilion at Seiffert Oval.
I encourage the community to come along and support this wonderful event.
Next Monday, November 11 is Remembrance Day. In my eyes, this is one of the most important dates on the calendar each year.
To commemorate the occasion, an official Remembrance Day service will take place at 11am at the Cenotaph in Belmore Park. I welcome and encourage members of the community to attend this ceremony.