Update Sunday 12.30pm
The 29-year-old charged over Friday night's stabbing in Goulburn has appeared in Goulburn Local Court.
He faces two counts of reckless wounding, one count of wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty.
The man was refused bail to reappear in the same court on Monday, November 18.
Update Saturday 4.30pm
Police have described Friday night's stabbing in Cowper Street as a "brutal attack."
Addressing media in Bowral, Hume District crime manager, Detective Chief Inspector Brendan Bernie said the crime scene was "quite horrific in the amount of blood."
"It's something very unusual for the Goulburn area. Drugs and alcohol will be a part of the ongoing investigation," he said.
DCI Bernie said police believed the 33-year-old was stabbed first and several people came out to see what was happening. As a result, an altercation broke out.
"We're looking at different lines of inquiry as to what led to it. People who are best to advise us of that are injured or unable to be interviewed at this point," he said.
Police believe it was not a random attack - two of the victims were neighbours, and it's understood the others involved worked together.
Detective chief inspector Brendan Bernie said on arrival at the scene, officers found a 57-year old man with stab wounds to his abdomen and arm, and a 29-year-old man with lacerations to his head.
"A short time later and a short distance away, police located two males in a villa complex. They were aged 33 and 17," he said.
"The 17-year-old man had a single stab wound to his upper torso, and the 33-year-old man had severe stab wounds to his stomach and face.
"The two men found in the villa complex were taken to Canberra Hospital. The 17-year-old is in a stable condition and the 33-year-old is in a critical condition, but stable."
The 57-year-old underwent surgery for injuries to his arm after he was airlifted to Sydney's Saint George's Hospital.
"Our investigation so far lead us to believe that the four men involved all know each other. So this was certainly not a random attack," DCI Bernie said.
"We are working on identifying the motive for the attack. A 29-year-old man has been charged with three counts of wounding, one being wounding with intent the 33- year-old, and two counts of reckless wounding the 57 and 17-year old."
Police understood the latter two came to the assistance of the 33-year-old man. The younger man was his neighbour.
"There is no insight to what sparked the attack, but we are calling on the public for assistance from anyone who has information about what was happening prior to the incident," DCI Bernie said.
He told media that a third possible crime scene was also being investigated.
While in custody the 29-year-old man had got out of his cell and attempted to open up a charge room door. Police stopped him and put him back in his cell.
He will appear before Goulburn Local Court on Sunday.
Update Saturday 12.30pm
Police have charged a 29-year-old Goulburn man following last night's alleged stabbing in Cowper Street.
The man, who suffered lacerations to his head and was hospitalised overnight, has been charged with two counts of reckless wounding, one count of wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty, police confirmed.
Senior Constable Peter Karooz said the man was released from hospital in the early hours of this morning. He had been under police guard at the facility following his arrest on Friday night.
He has since been refused bail to appear before Goulburn Local Court on Sunday for a bail hearing.
Detectives had not had a chance to interview the male this morning and Senior Constable Karooz said he was receiving ongoing medical attention for his injury.
Police have shed some light on last night's happenings. Senior Constable Karooz said a 33-year-old man was allegedly stabbed first and called for assistance. Two males, aged 17 and 57, came to his aid and were also allegedly stabbed.
The 57-year-old sustained wounds to his chest, arm and throat and was initially taken to Goulburn Base Hospital. He was later airlifted to Saint George's Hospital in Sydney and was in a serious but stable condition this morning.
The 17-year-old, who suffered a stab wound to his upper body, and 33-year-old, who sustained injuries to his head and abdomen, also remain in a serious but stable condition.
Officers from The Hume Police District commenced an investigation and, during examination of the crime scene, seized a hunting knife to undergo forensic examination.
A 37-year-old woman was arrested but has since been release pending further inquiries. Senior Constable Karooz said she did not witness the incident but was assisting police.
Investigations are continuing and police are still appealing to the public for information.
Police are appealing for further information following a stabbing in Goulburn in which four males were injured on Friday night.
About 9.15pm, police said emergency services were called to Cowper Street, between Addison and Mundy Streets, where they found two men with stab wounds. A 57-year-old was suffering a stab wound to his abdomen, and a 29-year-old had a stab wound to his head.
The were both taken to Goulburn Hospital, where the older man is undergoing surgery. The younger man is under police guard and is understood to be in a stable condition.
A short distance away in a villa complex, police located another two males who had been stabbed.
One of the males, a 17-year-old, had suffered a stab wound to his upper body. He was taken to Canberra Hospital in a stable condition. The other male, aged 33, had suffered stab wounds to his head and abdomen and was taken to Canberra Hospital in a serious condition.
The villas were taped off to allow investigations.
ALSO READ: Pair face court over drug charges
A third crime scene was located at nearby Combermere Street, Goulburn.
Police said they secured a hunting knife.
A woman, aged 37, was arrested and is assisting with inquiries at Goulburn Police Station.
Neighbours reported a confused scene.
"There was lots of fighting," he said.
One neighbour said police chased two men up the road and brought them back. There they treated one man for a head wound.
Inquiries continue into the circumstances. Officers believe the parties are known to each other.
Police urged anyone who was driving past at the time, has dashcam footage, or any information that could assist investigators, to contact Goulburn Police or Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000.
While you're with us...
Did you know the Goulburn Post is now offering breaking news alerts and a weekly email newsletter? Keep up-to-date with all the local news: sign up here.