A Southern Highlands town is proving popular with NSW holidaymakers ahead of the summer holidays.
The latest Wotif.com data has revealed Bundanoon is one of the state's top trending destinations, with travel interest up close to 170 per cent compared to the same time last year.
Wotif managing director Daniel Finch said the town's "cosy atmosphere" was a drawcard for travellers.
"From dreamy waterfalls to stunning lookouts, the Southern Highlands proves to be a popular option this summer as Aussies look to explore and enjoy the great outdoors," Mr Finch said.
"Just a few hours' drive from Sydney, Bundanoon's cosy atmosphere makes it an appealing base for holidaymakers looking to explore everything the region has to offer, while keeping away from the crowds migrating to the coast over summer.
"Accessibility and peace of mind are some of the most important travel considerations right now, which an intrastate getaway to areas including the Southern Highlands provides."
Mr Finch said there has been a significant shift in the number of Australians looking to holiday within their own state.
"Even with the announcement that interstate border restrictions could lift by Christmas, Aussies have changed their preferences and are sticking to getaways within their own state," he said.
"NSW residents in particular are opting to holiday closer to home with intrastate travel interest up close to 20 per cent."
The travel company has revealed its top trending NSW summer destinations:
- Forster - accommodation interest up over 240 per cent
- Kingscliff - accommodation interest up over 215 per cent
- Coffs Harbour - accommodation interest close to 180 per cent
- Yamba - accommodation interest over 170 per cent
- Newcastle - accommodation interest over 170 per cent
- Bundanoon - accommodation interest up close to 170 per cent
- Port Macquarie - accommodation interest up close to 160 per cent
- Port Stephens - accommodation interest up over 150 per cent
- Byron Bay - accommodation interest up close to 140 per cent
- Wollongong - accommodation interest up close to 65 per cent
This is based on accommodation interest between September 5 to September 11, 2020 compared to September 7 and September 13, 2019.
Subscribe to our newsletters: