Australia's Olympic campaign has kicked off with a streak of medals at the Tokyo Games.
The women's 4x100m freestyle relay team set a world record in the final, taking the gold for Australia in that event at a third consecutive Olympics.
Earlier in the day, Brandon Smith was the first Australian to claim a medal at the Games, receiving a bronze medal in the men's 400m individual medley.
Soon after, McLoughlin took silver in the men's 400m freestyle, just missing out in the final metre to Tunisian's Ahmed Hafnaoui.
There was an upset in the women's singles tennis, with 2021 Wimbledon champion Ash Barty losing to unseeded Sara Sorribes of Spain.
Back in Australia, NSW and Victoria premiers Gladys Berejiklian and Daniel Andrews expressed their disappointment with the lockdown protests in their most populous cities on Saturday.
NSW Police have charged 57 people and issued 90 infringement notices.
A specialist strike force is scouring CCTV and social media footage to find other participants.
"It broke my heart," Premier Berejiklian said on Sunday.
"Millions and millions of people across our state are doing the right thing and it just broke my heart that people had such a disregard for their fellow citizens.
"I just ask everybody to think about that. Each of those people who protested illegally, I'm sure have loved ones.
"They are going to go home and risk passing that virus on to the most closest people to them."
There were two Covid-related deaths in NSW overnight taking the current outbreak's total to eight.
NSW recorded 141 locally acquired cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Saturday, 38 of whom were infectious while in the community.
Victoria recorded 11 new local cases which were all linked to the current outbreaks.
- NSW Premier 'heartbroken' by protests, state records 141 new local cases
- Relay record gives Australia gold at pool
- Wait and see on Victoria's lockdown as premier calls protesters 'selfish'
- Barty in shock first-round Games loss
- Man twisted, snapped arm of ex-partner after she arrived to collect belongings
- Snow leopard at US zoo catches COVID-19
- What led Karen to sleep rough in a swag for two years
- Opinion: Why are we still policing female athletes' bodies in 2021?