Alcohol related assault at licensed premises has dropped 22 per cent since a new policy started last year.
In June 2020, due to an increase in assaults within licensed premises a new "barred from one, barred from all" policy was introduced across the Goulburn Liquor Accord. This meant customers who repeatedly misbehaved or caused serious incidents would be banned from licensed venues across Goulburn.
Officer in Charge at Goulburn Police Station Inspector Matt Hinton said the reduction in violence was a win for the community, business and staff.
"This has and will continue to prevent more serious offences such as alcohol-fueled assaults," he said.
"Everyone is entitled to a good night out and to feel safe, without it being ruined by the poor behaviour of a few."
Within the first month of the new policy a 35-year-old man was barred from all licensed premises for twelve months. Since that time, a 41-year-old male and a 19-year-old male were also banned.
Inspector Hinton said officers expected to serve another three banning notices in the coming days, and would continue to do so for those who ruin a good night out.
In addition, over the past three months police have issued 18 infringements for failing to quit at licensed premises in Goulburn, which attracts a $550 fine.
Inspector Hinton said alcohol related assault had significant impacts for victims. He has seen victims require dental surgery, and hospitalisation for broken bones and fractures after incidents.
"It's difficult not only for the victim but for friends, family and the community in general," he said.
"Any type of violence shouldn't be tolerated."
To combat this, police have a strong presence on a Friday or Saturday nights at all licensed premises in Goulburn.
Inspector Hinton said there was a trend for aggression between 10pm and 3am.
He said the strategy was to make sure intoxicated and argumentative people move on, to prevent more serious offences.
"As a community, as a family, talk to your young people... [tell them] any type of violence won't be accepted," he said.
"We ask everyone to have that conversation."
Over the next twelve months the Liquor Accord and police will concentrate on preventing banned offenders from re-entering or attempting to re-enter licensed premises.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: