MORE than $30,000 was raised towards supporting local kids with cancer, terminal illness and permanent disability at the 14th annual Convoy for Kids fundraiser on Saturday.
The event - which was held at the Goulburn Recreation Area for the first time in its 14-year history - was the most successful fundraising event to date, with over 100 trucks and tens of thousands of dollars raised toward the cause.
Convoy for Kids Goulburn president Bryan Webb was thrilled with the result.
“It was the most successful convoy for kids we have ever had… People travelled from as far away as western Sydney,” he told the Post.
The decision to change the event location from Belmore Park to the Recreation Area on Braidwood Rd was one that Mr Webb believed paid off greatly.
The Convoy drew 105 participants compared to last year’s seventy.
“We are so pleased we went out there this year,” Mr Webb said.
Event secretary Bob Kirk said the Recreation Area provided easily accessible parking and an open, family friendly area to enjoy the day.
“It was a very successful day; best ever attendance, best ever auction result for the feed truck and our best ever fundraiser for the cause.
“People came from all over the place – the Southern Highlands, Young, Cowra, Braidwood, Crookwell, Goulburn and everywhere in between.
“The effort by the workers and volunteers was terrific.”
The hugely popular truck-pull challenge drew a large crowd, with a team of livestock carriers from Exeter claiming the title. Second place went to the crew from Country Energy.
The best fleet was awarded to Stirling Freight from Woodlawn and best overall truck was a custom truck owned by Scott McSweeney from Sydney.