Goulburn parachuting fatality | Photos

Two parachutists were injured, one of them fatally, at Goulburn airport on Saturday.

It is believed four parachutists were particpating in tandem skydives when one couple was hit by a sudden windshear, causing them to drop 20m to the ground in an uncontrollable freefall.

A man died at the scene. He has been identified as former special operations soldier Tony Rokov who had worked for the Australian Defence Force for more than two decades.

The 44-year-old father-of-two, who lived near Cronulla, had been working with Adrenalin Skydive for several years.

A 14-year-old boy was assisted at the scene by Ambulance Paramedics, before being airlifted to Westmead Children's Hospital in a critical condition.

A Westmead spokesperson advised on Sunday morning that the boy is in a serious but stable condition.

Investigations into the incident continue.

Police confirm skydiver's death

POLICE Inspector Evan Quarmby has confirmed that a man has died at Goulburn airport in a skydiving accident.

Police are not giving the man’s age until family has been notified.

During a press conference at Goulburn Airport, Inspector Quarmby confirmed a 14-year-old boy had also been flown to Westmead Children's Hospital with critical injuries.

Emergency services were called to the Windellama Rd airport just before 1.50pm.

“Police are gathering evidence and that includes interviewing all witnesses, a number of exhibits and speaking to people in an endeavour to find out exactly what’s happened here,” Inspector Quarmby said.

Detectives, general duties and specialist police are investigating the accident.

Inspector Quarmby said police would also notify the oversight body for skydiving.

He would not say whether police were concerned it was not the first accident at Adrenalin Skydive.

“Our main aim to gather all evidence and involve ourselves in the investigation, not speculation,” Inspector Quarmby said.

Adrenalin Skydive is assisting investigations. Airport owner John Ferrara arrived on scene soon after the accident.

Skydiving has been suspended for the day following the accident.


Discuss "Goulburn parachuting fatality | Photos"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.