Suspended licence and lost plates for Goulburn man

A Goulburn man was among numerous motorists to have their driving privileges suspended for a variety of offences committed over the weekend.

The 19-year-old man had his licence suspended, his number plates seized, was fined $2,154 and will have to appear in court after allegedly being caught drink driving at excessive speeds.

About 9.30pm, officers attached to Goulburn Traffic and Highway Patrol detected a V8 Holden Commodore ute travelling at 130km/h in an 80km/h zone along Mary’s Mount Road in Goulburn.

Police stopped the vehicle, and arrested the driver who had started to walk into a nearby park. The man was taken to Goulburn Police Station where a breath analysis returned a reading of 0.176.

Superintendent Stuart Smith, Operations Commander of the Traffic and Highway Patrol, said his officers were continuing to catch motorists who displayed a blatant disregard for the safety of other road users.

“Over the weekend we were again confronted by what can only be described as unashamed recklessness,” Superintendent Smith said.

“We make no apologies for suspending the licences and seizing the vehicles of motorists who appear to have no concern for their own health and safety or the health and safety of fellow road users.”

Other notable incidents recorded over the weekend (Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 October) include:

- A 19-year-old Lane Cove man had his provisional licence suspended after being caught riding a motorcycle at 141km/h in an 80km/h zone on the Warringah Freeway at Lane Cove about 2.20am on Saturday. In addition to having his licence suspended, the 19-year-old was fined $2,154 and the number plates on his bike were seized.

- A 50-year-old Millthorpe man will face Orange Local Court next month, after leading police on a pursuit about 12.10am on Sunday. Traffic and Highway Patrol officers were driving along Peisley Street, Orange, when they detected a Ford Ranger travelling at 130km/h in an 80km/h zone. The driver of the vehicle allegedly ignored police signals to stop and a pursuit commenced. The vehicle eventually came to a stop and the 50-year-old driver was arrested and taken to Orange Police Station. He submitted to a breath analysis, which returned a reading of 0.114. As well as being charged for leading police on a pursuit, the man was also charged for mid range drink driving.

On 1 July 2012, new legislation was passed empowering police to seize the vehicle of anyone caught exceeding the speed limit by more than 45km/h. In the three and a half months since, NSW Police have seized the vehicle and/or registration plates of more than 100 speeding motorists.