An interesting history of the Wesleyan, later Methodist Church, was read out by Graham Lambert during the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the 1868 Headquarters of the Historical Society.
Mr Lambert read that when the Reverend W. H. George took up duties in 1864, he had to travel on horseback from Goulburn.
There were only three members of the Wesleyan Church in the village: Messers Denning, Taylor and Whiting.
Services were held regularly in their homes.
Edward Denning, who was Macarthur’s overseer donated about 2.5 acres of land for the construction of the church.
Regular tea meetings were held to raise money for the church’s construction.
The foundation stone was laid on April 10, 1867.
It was a cold day that was marred by heavy rain, however a goodly number of persons assembled for the opening.
William Davis was presented with a handsome silver trowel, with which he proceeded to lay the foundation stone.
After tea, a public meeting commenced and the plans for the church were laid out. It was to be built to accommodate 100 persons.
The Denning’s transported stone which the Davis Brothers erected. It was opened on Sunday, September 20 1868.
The cost of the church was 350 pounds, of which 45 pounds were from the Wesleyan Church Society and 175 pounds was raised locally. This left a debt of 130 pounds.
During the 1880’s the church flourished. However, by the middle of the last century (1950’s), 15 families had left the district and the church closed.
In 1894, after some renovations and a growing congregation, the church re-opened.
There was still a 50 pounds debt. It was again closed at the end of 1895. because of the debt.
In 1937, 0.8 of an acre was sold and the Masonic Temple was built. In 1947 the church was again restored with support from all the community.
Again the numbers declined, so in 1950 one third of an acre was shaved off to build the school teacher’s residence.
After about 10 years the congregation declined and the church was not used for 15 years.
The Historical Society was formed in 1972 and the church has been lovingly looked after ever since, with facilities added to the complex.
After gaining second place in the Regional Carnival the Team of Callum, Tom, Lucinda and Hannah are off to the PSSA State Athletics Carnival on November 1.
While you're with us…
Did you know the Goulburn Post is now offering breaking news alerts and a weekly email newsletter? Keep up-to-date with all the local news.