Over four days, from Thursday February 21 to Sunday February 24, the Goulburn Railway Bowling Club hosted dozens of teams from across NSW for its annual Rose Bowls carnival.
The tournament, now in its 25th year in the men's division and 23rd in the women's, is one of the most popular of its kind and saw some high-ranking bowlers attend, including NSW representatives.
At the conclusion of the carnival on Sunday, during the women's presentation ceremony, Goulburn Mulwaree mayor Bob Kirk, commended the club on a successful tournament and offered a few words of congratulations, which were received with smiles and laughter from the crowd.
"I like coming out here and I like coming to this event, it's such a colourful gathering," Kirk said.
"I'm very proud that our council joins in with the other sponsors in the community to support the event as we do.
"I'm pretty impressed with what I heard about this bowls tournament, I'm also thinking very seriously about a suggestion that I should take it up."
With $4,590 in prize money for the men and $4,230 for the women, Goulburn Railway Women's Bowling Club president Denise Gosling thanked the sponsors for their support.
"Without them, we could not run such a successful tournament, which gives [the winners] such good prize money," Gosling said.
The winners in the men's division, from first to sixth place, were:
- Team 16, skipper: Julio Posades
- Team 4, skipper: Charlie Willis
- Team 28, skipper: Adrian Halloran
- Team 9, skipper: John Ensby
- Team 27, skipper: Dave Caldwell
- Team 17, skipper: Matt Dubos
The winners in the women's division, from first place to sixth place, were:
- Kim Suckley, Leanne Smith, Jenny Clark - Comp/Merrylands
- Jan Anlezark, Debbie Shoemaker, Say Lee Jones - Merrylands
- Jean Lauriston, K. Noble, J. Scollay - Halekulani
- Joelen Bianchetto, Cheryl Casserly, Dafna Orbach - St Johns Park
- Bev Feehan, Lyn Hardy, Jenny Blyth - Malua Bay
- Lesley Gruber, Cheryl Mommsen, Clare Leggett - Queanbeyan
Suckley, the captain of the winning Merrylands team, gave a short speech following the presentation.
"To all the bowlers that we played against and met this weekend, it was wonderful," she said.
"I'd just like to thank, especially, my two buddies over here [Smith and Clark] who came all the way up here to play."