Fire authorities have extended the statutory bushfire period until the end of April in the interests of public safety.
NSW RFS Superintendent Peter Alley said the bush fire danger period usually ended on March 31, but had been extended this year due to prevailing weather conditions in the Southern Tablelands area.
"The extension means anyone wishing to light a fire in the Goulburn/Mulwaree, Upper Lachlan Shire or Yass Valley local government areas will still require a permit," Superintendent Alley said.
"Fire permits are free and available from your local fire station or Fire Control Centre.
"Residents must also notify neighbouring land owners and their local fire authority 24 hours prior to burning."
Superintendent Alley said the decision to extend the bush fire danger period was made in consultation with the Southern Tablelands Bush Fire Management Committee and other relevant stakeholders.
"These decisions are never made lightly and involve a number of stakeholders from the local area," said Superintendent Alley.
"Our overriding concern is the safety of all Southern Tablelands residents and we have acted accordingly by extending the period until the end of April.
"Now is not the time for anyone to become complacent about the risk of bush fires and I urge all residents to have a completed Bush Fire Survival Plan available, and to report any unattended fires they see to Triple Zero (000) immediately."