The Goulburn Showgrounds are set to benefit from a $446,744 grant from the NSW government, which was announced on Monday by Member for Goulburn Wendy Tuckerman.
The grant was part of a larger $925,470 funding announcement to be split among six showgrounds in the region, from the state government's COVID-19 stimulus package.
The funds for the Goulburn Showgrounds will include the following upgrades:
- The purchase and installation of retractable basketball hoops and backboardson three multi-purpose indoor courts in the basketball stadium.
- Remediation of the Gate 3 car park at Goulburn Recreation Area.
- The purchase of five additional mobile tiered seating units for use in Veolia Arena.
Both the basketball stadium and Veolia Arena are among the most-used sporting facilities in Goulburn, with basketball, indoor hockey, and netball often played in both.
The facilities have also hosted a number of state indoor hockey championships in the last two years, along with the Australian Indoor Hockey Festival in 2018 and 2019.
Such investments in local showgrounds, Mrs Tuckerman said, were critical to the communities they serve.
"Our showgrounds play an important role at the heart of our communities so I welcome this further investment by the NSW Government," Mrs Tuckerman said.
"This investment by the NSW Government will provide a boost for our local showgrounds and the communities they serve by supporting tradies and suppliers with work and strengthening showground infrastructure for the future."
Aside from Goulburn, the five showgrounds are set to benefit from the grant are:
- Boorowa Showground - $150,000 for 340 metres of connecting accessiblepathways to allow walking and cycling between multiple sites within theshowground precinct.
- Crookwell Showground - $25,742 to install tiered seating in three areas.
- Robertson Showground - $124,766 to repair and replace boundary fencingand resurface roadways in the showground.
- Moss Vale Showground - $133,705 for upgrade work on horse stables andnew kitchen and electrical and plumbing work on the martial arts shed.
- Gunning Showground - $44,513 for repairs to its showground hall includingguttering and roof repairs, sanding and sealing its floor, repainting brickwork,new awnings, electrical upgrades, and installing air-conditioners in the kitchen,side room and main room.
This latest announcement from the Member for Goulburn's office follows a similar grant of $430,196 for the Boorowa, Crookwell, Gunning, Moss Vale, Robertson, Moss Vale, Rye Park and Yass showgrounds, announced on May 29.
While you're with us...
Did you know the Goulburn Post is now offering breaking news alerts and a weekly email newsletter? Keep up-to-date with all the local news: sign up here.