Corrective Services NSW (CSNSW) has launched an investigation into Ryan Wennekes' alleged escape from the Goulburn Correctional Centre on Thursday, July 15.
The 29-year-old, who was arrested at Goulburn Railway Station yesterday evening, faced three charges during his appearance in Goulburn Local Court on Friday.
Wennekes was working in the demountables industries area shortly after being received into the centre's minimum-security section a month ago, a Corrective Services spokeswoman said.
"All escapes are unacceptable," she said.
"The safety of the community is paramount and correctional centre management initiatives are constantly monitored and improved to prevent such breaches.
"Following an escape, we immediately notify NSW Police as well as local stakeholders and begin a search of the surrounding area.
"Any inmate, who has escaped or attempted to escape from prison, is re-classified and rehoused in a medium or maximum-security facility.
"There will be a full investigation into how the incident occurred and any necessary improvements will be made."
The spokeswoman said the majority of escapes from custody involved minimum-security inmates, who were nearing the end of their sentence or who had been classified as low- risk.
Corrective Services declined comment on the level of security that was in place at the time and whether this had been tightened since the last escape from the demountables area in 2018.
Wennekes had been serving a three-year sentence for domestic violence related offences. His earliest release date was March 2023.
Four escapes have occurred at the Goulburn facility in the past six years.
On October 5, 2018, minimum security inmate Mark Tazelaar also absconded from the demountables area. Police found him two days later at Seven Hills.
On August 18, 2015, 28-year-old maximum security inmate Stephen Jamieson escaped using bed sheets and a pillow tied around his stomach to scale the prison wall. It sparked a 10-hour man hunt. Police eventually stopped him on the Hume Highway near Pheasants Nest in a stolen car. In 2016, he was sentenced to a further five years' prison.
On September 29, 2015, 25-year-old minimum security prisoner Beau Wiles was also working in the demountables area just before his escape. It prompted a 32-hour manhunt. The Post reported at the time that a black commodore with two women inside picked him up. Police recaptured him after a vehicle stop at Unanderra. He was sentenced to a further six months' prison in February, 2016.
Wennekes will reappear at Goulburn Local Court on August 4 via audio visual link from custody.
Did you know the Goulburn Post is now offering breaking news alerts and a weekly email newsletter? Keep up-to-date with all the local news: sign up below.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.