It was a great honour and privilege to be the Labor candidate for the seat of Goulburn at the recent NSW election. I would like to thank everyone who engaged with me during the campaign as I door-knocked and listened and talked with you.
Whether you voted for me or not, I appreciated your willingness to share your views and concerns and ideas with me - this is what election campaigns should be about: listening, responding, representing.
While disappointed not to have won the seat for Labor this time, I am delighted that the Goulburn electorate will benefit from the Minns Labor government winning in NSW. This means that Labor's Fresh Start Plan for Goulburn that I announced during the campaign will be delivered and will see record investments in local roads and infrastructure, essential workers, healthcare, schools and important community projects.
For the Goulburn-Mulwaree Council area, I am pleased to confirm the following:
- An additional $2,939,195 in Emergency Road Repair funding for urgent works
- $3 million to upgrade Currawang Road, near Tirrannaville
Wakefield Park and Motorsport
- NSW Government support for the reopening of Wakefield Park Raceway with $1 million for noise mitigation works, further support to overcome planning obstacles and a state-wide motorsport strategy.
- I am already in conversation with Steve Shelley from Pheasant Wood about his proposed plans for Wakefield Park and I will work closely with the NSW Minister for Planning and Minister for Sport as the Labor Government works to support Wakefield Park's reopening
- Minimum Safe Staffing Levels in public hospitals, including one nurse to three patients in emergency departments, and 1:4 in general wards.
- Additional 1,200 nurses and midwives for hospitals across NSW, including Goulburn Hospital.
- Additional 500 regional paramedics.
- Specialist breast care nurses for every person in NSW experiencing breast cancer.
- New study subsidies for recruiting and retaining health workers.
- Additional 600 permanent firefighters for NSW Fire & Rescue, including Goulburn.
Education & Skills
- Create 10,000 new permanent teaching roles across NSW to combat the teacher shortage crisis and unwind the former Liberal government's casualisation of the teaching workforce.
- Ban mobile phones in public schools.
- Rebuild TAFE with a funding guarantee, and 1,000 new apprentices employed by the NSW Government.
- Scrap the former Liberal government's unfair wages cap on essential workers like nurses and paramedics, teachers, police and firefighters.
- Rebuild the manufacturing industry in NSW by introducing local content rules, building new trains in NSW, and creating Manufacturing Centres of Excellence.
- $100,000 towards new public restroom facilities in Bungonia
- $40,000 to improve disability access at the Goulburn Club
Our Premier, Chris Minns, knows the Goulburn electorate well and is committed to serving this region and all of NSW. My own commitment to the community does not end with this campaign and I will continue to advocate for the community and engage with Chris Minns and his ministers as they roll out the Fresh Start Plan for NSW.
Michael Pilbrow, Yass
- The Goulburn Post welcomes letters to the editor. If you have something to say, follow this link.